How to connect apps and which apps to connect
Now that you have created your bookkeep account and organization/s you can start adding the appropriate apps to each organization so you can start reviewing/posting the data to your accounting platform.1. Choose the organization you would like to add a new app to from the main dashboard on bookkeep.com by clicking on the appropriate link or by searching for it using the top search box after clicking the dropdown:
2. After choosing the appropriate organization, click on “Connections”, then “Add an app” to start the process.
3. After clicking Add an app, you will see the various commerce apps you can connect and search for more:
4. Click on the appropriate icon and you will have a few options to connect the app
- “Connect Now” – will take you to that app’s login page where you can use your credentials to approve the connection to your bookkeep.com account which will allow data to be captured.
- “Invite Owner to Connect” – if you do not have the credentials for that specific app or your login has restricted access you can use this feature to send the owner a one-time email invitation to connect the account to our platform (you will be cc-ed on the invitation automatically)
Note: Due to security requirements, this invitation is valid for 1 hour after sending and it must be completed in one step (i.e. returning to the invitation email at a later point will not work). You should coordinate this process with the account owner so it is completed seamlessly, keeping in mind that you can always send another invitation if needed.
- “Visit Site” – this link will take you to the app’s login page as in some cases additional information might be required to complete the connection, which needs to be retrieved from the platform (e.g. API keys, store name or domain, email for reports, etc.)
Note: We can always assist with any of these more complicated processes.
5. Once the app is connected successfully you will see it listed on your Connections page and you will have the options to configure (map to your accounting platform), run or delete the connection.
You can repeat the above process in order to add all the apps your organization needs.
Note: It would be a good idea to make sure you understand your organization’s needs in order to make the right decisions around which of our available apps to connect.
For example, your company/client uses Shopify and Amazon Seller for sales and accepts multiple types of payments: PayPal, Stripe, Amazon payments etc. In this case you might want to use our Shopify and Amazon Seller apps to capture the sales and payouts made by Shopify and Amazon, but also the PayPal and Stripe apps to capture the fees and payouts from those payment processors.
These decisions can get more complex as the use of multiple ecommerce and payment platforms becomes more widespread and are also crucial to avoiding any duplications in your accounting platforms (double booking of sales or payouts). That is especially true as in many cases different sales channels can also be combined or integrated with each other, for example if for the above organization the Amazon sales are also captured through Shopify. But don’t worry, we are here to help you navigate these murky waters.